Friday, September 14, 2007

Golden Crispy dosas

This is my mother's recipe and it makes the most crunchy and crispy golden dosas. it tastes the best with a simple coconut chutney.

Ingredients:

2 cups rice
1 1/2 cups urad dhal
1 handful moong dal
1 handful channa dal
1 handful aval
1 tsp methi seeds

Combine all these ingredients and wash them thoroughly. Soak them in water overnight. Grind them into a smooth batter. Add appropriate amount of salt and mix the batter thoroughly. It should have no lumps.

Pre-heat the oven to 350 and turn it off. Place the batter in large pot to give room when it ferments. Put the pot in the warm oven overnight.

The next day, heat the tava and pour a ladle full of batter and smoothen it make a perfect round dosa. Sprinkle oil around it and let the edges get golden brown. Turn the dosa over and crisp it the same way on the other side.

Your dosas are now ready to eat!!

2 comments:

Kavitha Jadhav said...

Deepa,
My quest for the perfect recipe for dosais is still on. I am planning for an elaborate cooking session with Mom, the next time I am in India. But for now, I am definitely eager to try yours/your Mom's ;-) - so what rice is this?

Deepa said...

Kavitha, I use regular rice (basmati, idli etc)..any rice will work..
Let me know how this turns out..:-)